Have you bought strong moving boxes for your big house move or office relocation? You may be surprised to learn that these can be long-term resources! That’s because good-quality moving boxes can be reused over and over again with a little TLC.
We all know that reusing trumps tossing away. But did you know that it’s so much more sustainable than recycling? After all, recycling uses energy to bale, pulp and reconstruct perfectly good moving boxes into the exact same thing! But of course, there is a place for recycling which we will unpack further down the article.
For now, if you have moving boxes in tip-top condition, we have all the details on how to take care of these, so you can save money while also helping to save the environment!
Storage places to avoid
Before storing these away, you need to choose an optimal location to ensure longevity.
Make sure to:
- Avoid choosing a location that has known insect infestations. Whatever the bug, they love nesting in cardboard boxes. Also make sure your boxes are completely clean and free of food to prevent causing an infestation.
- Avoid choosing a location high in moisture. This is a sure-fire way to strip your boxes of all robustness as mold and mildew builds up.
- Avoid choosing a location that’s a high fire risk. Boxes are flammable, so make sure they’re always kept far away from flammable sources.
Efficient deconstruction and storage
Once you’ve chosen a good, safe location, it’s time to start prepping your moving boxes for storage. Apply the following steps:
- Make sure your boxes are completely empty and clean.
- Neatly cut the tape using a sharp pocket knife. Avoid tearing off the tape as this is damaging and will cause the boxes to shred fibres, preventing long-term use.
- Collapse each box, flattening it along the creases and flaps.
- Stack them on top of each other from biggest to smallest and tightly tie them together using a rope or string.
- Store them upright or lay them on top of another object – as long as they are safely tucked away or placed without the possibility of falling.
Recycle unusable boxes
As we mentioned at the beginning, there is a place for recycling, but it shouldn’t be your first option. If your boxes are in poor condition and reusing them isn’t possible – this is the best option.
For effective recycling, remove the tape from the boxes to make it easier for the recycling centre. If the moving boxes are damaged by a substance that leaked, cut out the soiled section. Badly damaged moving boxes can be a problem for recycling centres, and they may reject them. Even boxes with water damage can be difficult to recycle. So make sure they’re kept as dry as possible at all times.
To find a recycling centre in Wales, check out the Wales Recycles website.
On the bright side, water-logged boxes can be great to add to your compost pile as mulch to help your plants grow.
There’s always plan B
If you simply don’t have the space to store extra moving boxes and not quite ready to have them recycled, you can always give them to family or friends who have a moving day coming up. Or use them to pack your items for storage, whether it’s in your garage, outbuilding, extra room or self storage unit.
If you’re looking for strong moving boxes that you can use multiple times – our sister company, Masons Self Storage Packing Supplies Shop has only the best. We sell moving boxes that won’t buckle under pressure and make for perfect reusable options. While you’re popping by to stock up, we also have a range of other essential supplies that will come in handy for your big moving day. These include: tape, scissors, bubble wrap, protective covers, packing paper, and so much more!
For added convenience, you can even call and reserve your packaging supplies over the phone!
If you haven’t moved yet and your search for removal companies South Wales has begun, rest assured you’ve finally found the most trusted and reliable name in the business. With a legacy that spans over 115 years – we can help you relocate anywhere in the world – whether it’s down the road or across oceans!
To find out more or get your personalised removal quote, call our friendly team on 0800 141 3688 or drop us an email: [email protected] for your free quote.