When you’re moving house, it can seem like there are a million and one things to take care of and prepare for. In fact, recent research revealed that moving home is one of the most stressful events in our lives!
Our Home Move Co-ordinators here at Masons Removals Cardiff, get asked a whole range of questions from our customers, such as:
- Where do I start when preparing to move house?
- What to do when moving house?
- How long does it take to move house?
- When should I start packing to move house?
- How do I distract children on moving day?
So, using our expert knowledge of home removals, we have compiled this handy moving home checklist. If you’ve found yourself wondering what to do when moving house or how to prepare to move house, then read on and take a look at our moving house checklist!
With our complete checklist, you will have a comprehensive list that will ensure you are fully prepared for your home move. Plus, if you have any more questions, why not contact our friendly team and see how Masons Removals Cardiff could help you with your home move?
Moving House Checklist
One month before you move
- Confirm your removal date in advance as far as possible
- Prepare a list of fixtures you are leaving behind
Up to three weeks before your move
- Arrange childcare, if necessary (if you need some tips on keeping the kids busy during a house move, take a look at our blog here)
- Organise suitable transportation for your pets or arrange someone to look after them on the day
- Sort through and organise the contents of your garage and loft spaces
Up to two weeks before your move
- Remove any fixtures and fittings that you are taking with you
- Disconnect any light fittings that you are taking with you
- Dismantle any self-assembly furniture (unless we, or your removals company, has arranged to do this for you)
- Assess which chests of drawers may be left full, depending on their make and size
- Any fabrics that are being stored will benefit from an anti-moth treatment
- Arrange for professional disconnection of kitchen appliances, such as your washing machine so that you can be sure the drum is secured for the move
- Arrange to have your gas, electricity, telephone and water meters read
- Start running down and defrosting freezers. We advise against moving freezers that are full or frozen If you need your freezer to be moved with food inside, wrap the contents in newspaper, boxes or trays. Full or frozen freezers are moved at your own risk
- Seal and tighten jars of food
- Clear any loft or garage spaces
- Dismantle any sheds, greenhouses etc, unless we have arranged to do this for you
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers/motorcycles, if applicable
- Arrange separate transportation for any dangerous substances
- Prepare plants for transit, let us know if you need any advice
- Create a ‘do not move’ area for everyday necessities such as keys, mobile devices, tools, cleaning materials and coats etc
On the day of your move
- Lock your valuables somewhere safe and carry them with you personally to your new home
- Make sure your children are kept occupied or are looked after by a friend or family member
- Make sure your pets are safely out of the way
- If your possessions are going into storage, remember to keep important items such as your passport, driving licence etc with you
- Do not put perishable, flammable or dangerous substances in storage
- Before the removal van leaves, double-check that nothing has been left behind or packed which shouldn’t be
- Ensure that your removals team have directions to your new property and your contact details should they need to contact you
- Agree a time of arrival
- Arrive at your new property with the keys to start unloading promptly
If you’re looking for a Cardiff removals company or moving house in Cardiff or further afield, here at Masons Moving Group, we have a team of expert movers! Starting out as a horse-and-cart furniture removals business back in 1905, we are a family-run business and understand what it takes to remove the stress out of moving home!
To find out more, or to get your personalised removals quote; call our friendly team on 0800 141 3688 or drop us an email: [email protected] for your free quote!